When you add negative keywords to your Search and Display Network campaigns, you can prevent your ads from showing for irrelevant searches and help you focus only on the necessary keywords. If you don’t use negative keywords, firstly, the budget will go to untargeted clicks, and secondly, the CTR will decrease.
In Google Ads, you can add negative keywords only at the level of:
- Advertising campaign
- Ad groups
How to add negative keywords:
- Sign in to your Ads account.
- Click Keywords from the page menu on the left.
- Click Negative keywords.
- Click the plus button.
You can add new keywords, a new negative keyword list, or use an existing negative keyword, it's very convenient.
In addition, when working with negative keywords in Ads, it's important to remember:
- Negative keywords work differently than their positive counterparts. The main difference is that Ads do not automatically subtract all variations of negative keyword, so you'll need to add synonyms, singular or plural versions, misspellings, and other close variations if you want to exclude them all.
- In Ads, you can remove entire phrases as simply as single words. Keep in mind that in this case, only queries, which contain the whole phrase, will be excluded. For example, if we add the negative keyword "download drivers", then when people search "laptop acer drivers" and "acer laptop download" the ads could be shown.
- In Ads, the priority of negative keywords is higher than the priority of keywords. If we add the negative word "paris", the advertisement will not be shown on the search query "buy iphone paris", even if there is a key phrase of "buy iphone paris".