Before you begin
- Make sure the list you want to use is ready.
- Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), advertisers act as the data controller of any lists uploaded as part of data file Custom Audiences. Facebook's terms require advertisers to ensure they have a legal basis to upload and use the data they provide in connection with Custom Audiences that include individuals residing in the EU.
How to Create a Custom Audience from your list:
To create a Custom Audience from your list:
- From Ads Manager, go to Audiences.
- Select Create Audience > Custom Audience > Customer list.
- Click Add from your own list.
- To add your customer list select the Original Data Source dropdown to specify the original information source, then either upload your list as a file (.txt or .csv) or copy and paste it in the content field. Add a name and description for your audience, then select Next.
- Edit and upload your data.
What you can do with your data:
- Change the data type: From the dropdown, choose the data type or Do Not Upload.
- Remove the data: Select this option to remove the information from match consideration.
- Change the data format: From the dropdown, select Choose format.
Keep in mind that all data needs a type to use it, but only some kinds require formatting details. You only see the Choose format dropdown if it's necessary.
Once you're satisfied, select Create & Upload.
- Take action.
After adding your content, Facebook will hash your data, upload it and create your audience for you. This may take a little while if your file is large.
When Facebook is done creating your Custom Audience, it automatically generates a list of next steps you can take to get the most out of it. You can take one of those next steps immediately or click Done to finish.